PRODUCTIVITY TIPS FOR DEV TEAM
Jira Slack Integration — A Step by Step Guide
Learn how to configure the Jira Slack notification settings and how to connect Jira and Slack so you can learn about all the Jira Updates directly in the Slack feed
As Scrum Master, I hate to arrive at the Daily standup meeting and don’t know that yesterday my scrum team was blocked the entire day because I closed my Jira board during the day. Speed matters.
As a Scrum Master, I love to see the notifications of the latest updates from Jira in Slack. I find that it speeds up the communication between the team members without the stress of having the inbox full of Jira notifications.
As a developer, I love to learn about any topic that needs my attention without managing a tool.
With the teams I work with, I set up the Slack — Jira integration. I use the native integration between the two. It is something very quickly to do, and that improves the communication between the team members.
How to Display Jira notifications on a Slack Channel?
What do you need?
- Administrator access to Slack
- Administrator access to Jira workspace
Step 1: Install Jira Cloud to your Slack Channel
- Go to Slack App Directory > Jira Cloud
- Click install
Step 2: Configure Slack Add-on in Jira
- Go to Jira Settings > Apps.
- On the left side menu,> Click on Manage Apps.
- On Manage App, Select to view All Apps. By default, it will be selected User-Installed
- Scroll down to Slack, or you can use CTR/Cmd + F and search for the word Slack. Since Atlassian acquire Slack, this is a default integration.
Initially, it was hard for me to identify the Slack Plugin in the Jira Application Management because any user does not install it.
- Click on Configure
- Click to enable Slack Integration. You need to enable Slack Integration Plugin to be able to configure it in Slack.
Step 3. Go to the Slack channel where you want to display the Atlassian Jira Notifications automatically in Slack
- Invite Jira Cloud bot to a Slack Channel with @jira click on enter.
- If you have performed correctly step 2, you have the option of connecting a Project. If you don’t see the screen below, repeat Step 2: Configure Slack Add-on in Jira.
- Select the Jira project you want to display notifications for and the Slack channel you want the notifications to be shown
Step 4: Invite your Agile team to the Slack channel.
The Slack Channel, where you display the Jira notification, is working as any other channel. You can invite your team members to join and follow the channel.
Step 5: Adjust the Jira notification in your Slack Channel base on your needs.
- Go to your project
- On the left side, you’ll see a new link towards Slack Integration.
- Click on Slack Integration from your Jira project.
- Configure your notifications based on your Agile team needs
I hope this article was useful, and feel free to drop your questions.
You might be interested in:
9 Jira skills you must hold as Scrum Master.
Filters, Boards, Dashboards, Custom fields, workflows, these are Jira skills the Scrum Masters must have to support…
How to get started with Jira User Stories
Learn how to use Jira issues: Jira User Stories, Jira tasks, and Jira sub-tasks
How to deal with Change of Requirements or Scope Creep in Agile?
Here are the questions I ask before accepting a change request? Does it serve the Sprint Goal? What is the business…
How to Write User Stories that Deliver Value to the Customer
Before we discuss user stories, let’s clarify what user stories are?
Why Velocity Works Better than Man Days Effort Estimation?
What is the velocity metric?
How to define Features in Agile Methodology?
In Agile methodologies, the features represent a chunk of functionality that delivers considerable business value.