A good description user story description is:
- Unambiguous. The adjectives give most of the ambiguity: “good,” “perfect,” “better,” “nice,” “intuitive,” “normal.” All these words mean different things for different people. You could say: the user can reach any functionality in 3 clicks instead of an intuitive interface. Another primary source of ambiguity is are the verbs at passed tense: “will be done,” “is defined,” “being built.” At last, comes the meaning of the words. Using simple and short sentences are preferable to avoid a double interpretation.
- Complete. For the team to be able to the backlog, the user stories must have all the information needed. If there are things that are yet to do, mention who needs to do what by when.
- Consistent. Symmetry and consistency define beauty, so the products that you are describing. Consistency in requirements will avoid any confusion that might appear. As a Product Owner, you are the main responsible for the product you are defining.
- Ranked for importance. In Agile product development, scrum teams deliver the value at the beginning. What is very important to know is that it is not only to bring business value. It is the report between the business value over the effort that the Product Owner needs to consider. The backlog needs to be ordered based on the highest amounts of this report. Of course, for that to be possible, user stories need to be independent.
- Testable means that anyone can go in and check if the user stories work or not. Here applies again the rule of the adjectives: keep the adjectives away, as well as expressions as “user friendly, “working well.”
- It does not specify how to implement the requirements. Of course, we can always suggest, as the development teams can suggest functionalities, the product owner can make technical suggestions, but the Product Owners must focus on defining the features of the product and the teams on how to implement it.
- Traceable. The easiest way to keep your requirements traceable is to have them all in a project management tool